Ave Maria College is a school which operates with the consent of the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne and is operated and governed by Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools Ltd (MACS).
MACS governs and operates 292 Catholic schools in the Archdiocese to continue the mission of Catholic education to proclaim the Good News and equip our young people with the knowledge, skills and hope to live meaningful lives and enrich the world around them.
Because the good work of educating the young is a co-responsible task led by every member of the Catholic school community, School Advisory Councils have been established to provide a crucial point of connection between the wider school community and school leaders.
This governance model was designed to ease the administrative burden on our schools and parishes, allow parish priests to focus on the mission of education in the parish, enable greater collaboration between schools and ensure greater consistency in school policies and procedures.
More information on MACS is available at www.macs.vic.edu.au.
School Advisory Council
The School Advisory Council provides a forum for discussion and discernment, where parent voice and community perspective are available to inform and support the decisions made by the principal and custodian of mission for the good of the school and parish where students’ wellbeing and outcomes are paramount.
The School Advisory Council plays an important role in supporting the work of the Principal by:
- Articulating and enacting the School’s vision and mission
- Promoting the school’s Catholic ethos and culture
- Promoting faith formation and development
- Supporting school policies as required
- Giving advice to the principal on issues such as school improvement plans and enrolment trends
- Engaging in discussion with the principal about the annual school budget and other financial matters
- Giving advice to the principal about the school master plan
- Providing capital resource planning and maintenance support to the principal.
The Ave Maria College School Advisory Council has the following membership:
- Executive officers – Parish Priest (Custodian of Mission) and Principal
- Parents – up to 6 current parents
- Alumnae – up to one past Ave Maria College student
- Co-Opted members – up to 3 co-opted members with particular areas of expertise
- In attendance – Deputy Principal and Business Member
2021 School Advisory Council members are:
Fr Tony Feeney – Parish Priest (Custodian of Mission) / Executive Officer
Ms Tanya Hutton – Principal / Executive Officer
Mr Robert De Fazio – Parent representative, Parish of the Good Shepherd, Council chair
Mrs Zorka Dunstan – Parent representative, St Mary of the Assumption Parish
Mr Michael Ewing – Parent representative, St John Bosco’s Parish
Mrs Kim Fenton – Parent representative, St John Bosco’s Parish
Mr Raymond Ngo – Parent representative, Parish of the Good Shepherd
Ms Leanne Weaver – Alumnae representative, Parish of the Good Shepherd
Sr Heather Weedon – Co-opted member
Mrs Michelle Robertson – In attendance
Mr Allan Thompson – In attendance
Sub-committees of the School Advisory Council include:
- Finance and Property Committee
- Policy and Curriculum Committee
AMC Child Safety and Wellbeing Policy
Parent Guardian Carer Code Of Conduct
SAC’s Code Of Conduct
School Advisory Council Terms Of Reference
AMC Complaints Handling Policy
AMC School Advisory Council Manual
MACs Statement Of Mission
If you have a strong commitment to the Catholic ethos of the College and an interest in and commitment to Catholic education, we warmly invite expressions of interest to join us in the following vacancies in 2021:
- Parent/Carer (two positions available)
- College Alumnae (one position available)
For more information contact the Principal’s office on 9331 9300.