We strive to educate strong women of Truth and Love
We follow Mary’s model for life. Mary invites us to trust in the truth of God’s love and the truth within ourselves. In our teaching, learning and relationships, we are seekers of Truth and people of Love. Mary teaches us humility and strength; leading the way to a relationship with God.
We are inspired by a Franciscan way of knowing Jesus. St Francis of Assisi invites us to imitate Jesus who took the side of the vulnerable and drew all into a shared humanity through inclusion and peace. Francis teaches us to delight in God’s gifts to us; shared, grown and sustained for all. Created in God’s image, we are called to see the face of God in others. Drawn from the Gospels, we profess the Franciscan values of peace, justice, simplicity and compassion, such that “All may be One” (John 17:21).
We value Helene de Chappotin’s vision for education; that learning is for fullness of life for all. Learning excellence at Ave Maria is contemporary and collaborative, rigorous and relevant. Every member of our community contributes to a learning culture of endeavour and excellence. Together, we develop a love for learning and a readiness to contribute to the world.
We are strengthened by St Clare of Assisi, a woman of firm faith, commitment and sisterly love. The young women of Ave Maria are educated to develop a strong sense of self, sisterly love for others and generous action in the world. We come to know ourselves in our relationships with each other. This is central to our understanding of wellbeing, resilience and growth.
Together, we strive for Ave Maria College to be a learning community of Truth and Love.
Ave Maria College is committed to the principles of a liberal democracy:
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government.
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law.
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes.
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, and the need to practice tolerance and understanding of others’ beliefs.
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom.
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the College community regardless of background.
Ave Maria College is committed to the Values for Australian Schooling.
- Care and Compassion
- Care for self and others.
- Doing Your Best
- Seek to accomplish something worthy and admirable, try hard, pursue excellence.
- Fair Go
- Pursue and protect the common good where all people are treated fairly for a just society.
- Enjoy all the rights and privileges of Australian citizenship free from unnecessary interference or control and stand up for the rights of others.
- Honesty and Trustworthiness
- Be honest, sincere and seek the truth.
- Act in accordance with principles of moral and ethical conduct, ensure consistency between words and deeds.
- Treat others with consideration and regard, respect another person’s point of view.
- Be accountable for one’s own actions, resolve differences in constructive, non-violent and peaceful ways, contribute to society and to civic life, take care of the environment.
- Understanding, Tolerance and Inclusion
- Be aware of others and their cultures, accept diversity within a democratic society, being included and including others.
AMC Democratic Principles Statement
AMC School Philosophy Statement